5 things about SGH & another 5 about HSM
1. Working in SGH was super duper hectic and tiring. Never had a chance to watch an English Premier League Match nor Malaysian Super League. At that time I even didn't know at all that my favourite club Chelsea FC buying Demba Ba from Newcastle United.
2. Some if the MOs in SGH like a very BIG BIG BOSS. Even the specialist also were nicer compared to the 'some' MOs. Mind my word; some, not all!
3. In SGH,Off to work at 5.30am and reached home at 9 or 10 at night for almost everyday in a week!
4. Chances of extension was very high in SGH. O&G, Paeds come 1st, followed by Ortho, Surgical and medical. When I was in Paeds, most of my seniors get extended. Higher expectations perhaps. I was lucky enough to complete Paeds Posting without any extensions!
5. In a tertiary center like in SGH, I still can imagine how there was no printer to print all the investigations! Just imagine, I did my oncall alone, need to take blood, then I need to send myself the blood to thw lab, wait another 1 hour, then go back to the lab to trace the results. Sometimes the results still not ready. The Mos will asked this and that. If something happen during my time walking to send and tracing blood/results I would be the one getting the blame. Its somehow very unfair. Hopefully things change nowadays.
6. In HSM, though its not that hectic but the stayback shift makes me feel damne tired. But nevermind, still can go back home to see and sleep with my cuttie little daughter! Yeay!!!
7. MOs here treat the houseman like a colleague. Its because MOs are a senior colleague. Once we completed our HOship well become an MO too...
8. In HSM, went to work at 6.30 or 6.45 and get the chance coming back at 5 or 5.15 almost everyday. But u need to be super duper efficient, and good communication with your colleague.
9. There are still chances of getting extended. But the rate is not sky high. Among all Medical is the highest is HSM. Almost nil in O&G, surgery and ortho (during mr suresh era)
10. Though sometime the PPK quite lame in HSM, but the printer is available! Just need to call the respective lab number, then the results will be printed in front of you!